Wednesday, August 17, 2016

K is for Kale

ABCs for healthy living are quick takes on simple strategies for creating a healthier life.


Leafy green kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods on earth
I had never eaten kale until a few years ago when I started looking for ways to create a healthier lifestyle. Eating real food became a major part of my plan. Experimenting with foods I'd never tried before was a fun way to add more nutrition to my day.

Because kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods on earth, adding kale dishes to your recipe file is a great way to up the nutrient content of your daily diet. Kale contains folate, protein, fiber,iron, manganese, calcium, potassium, omega 3 fats, flavonoids, and vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, and K.It helps lower cholesterol levels, works to detoxify your system, and lowers the risk of developing five types of cancer.

Kale can be used raw in salads, steamed for five minutes as a side dish, baked into chips, or used as an added ingredient in numerous recipes. 

Baked Kale Chips  This one is easy - only three ingredients: kale, olive oil, and salt.

Spaghetti with Kale and Tomatoes  Pecorino cheese gives this an exotic zip but you can use any kind of cheese you like. Just buy real cheese and grate it yourself. Pre-shredded cheese is covered in cellulose to keep the pieces from sticking together. And cellulose is a food additive manufactured from cotton and wood pulp. Ditch the bag and grate your own.

Kale Cranberry Nut Salad I don't use canola oil or white refined sugar.Use olive oil and raw honey instead. Kale has a distinctive strong taste, especially when eaten raw. Replace half the kale with salad greens you already like the first time you make this.

Kale and Quinoa Patties This is my favorite kale recipe.Serve a sliced avocado on the side for a super nutritious and delicious meal. 

Want to join my online community?

Follow my blog  Practical Priorities

Follow me on Twitter  @KathyKNorman

Like my Facebook page Practical Priorities 

Connect with me on LinkedIn  Kathy K. Norman

Check out my Pinterest boards KathyKNorman3

Visit my website www.kathyknorman.com




No comments:

Post a Comment