Monday, August 8, 2016

H is for Healing

ABCs for healthy living are quick takes on simple strategies for creating a healthier life.


Eat real food for healthy living.

"Four of the top ten causes of death today are chronic diseases with well-established links to diet: coronary heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and cancer." - Michael Pollan

Eight years ago I would have shrugged my shoulders and said, "Who cares?" when reading that quote by Michael Pollan, the best-selling author of In Defense of Food. I ate whatever I wanted without a single thought to the possible impact on my well-being.

Then I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a terrible chronic illness with a broad spectrum of symptoms including severe pain and debilitating fatigue. Suddenly, I was extremely interested in creating a healthier lifestyle. I was desperate to find something that might make me feel better.I was willing to make any changes to my diet and lifestyle that held even the tiniest possibility of improving my symptoms.

I researched what causes illness and how healing occurs. I learned that we live in a toxic world.The food we eat and the household products we use either contribute to our health and well-being or leave our bodies vulnerable to contracting all kinds of diseases. Toxic ingredients in household products and processed food has been linked to the onset of numerous autoimmune diseases and disorders like fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, lupus, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), rheumatoid arthritis,and Sjogren's disease.

Based on what I learned, I developed ten strategies for creating a healthier life.The top three changes I made were:
  • I quit using household products full of harmful chemicals.
  • I stopped eating most highly processed food.
  • I started eating real food with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients.
I was only hoping to find a way to feel better. I was amazed when I completely recovered. I have had no fibromyalgia symptoms since December of 2012. I continue to follow the strategies that helped me recover to maintain my health and well-being.

Now I read that Michael Pollan quote and applaud. I have firsthand proof that the food we eat and the products we use in our homes and on our bodies can either contribute to disease or lead to healing.


Want to join my online community?

Follow my blog  Practical Priorities

Follow me on Twitter  @KathyKNorman

Like my Facebook page Practical Priorities 

Connect with me on LinkedIn  Kathy K. Norman

Check out my Pinterest boards KathyKNorman3

Visit my website www.kathyknorman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment