Tuesday, April 9, 2013

To Snack or Not to Snack? Hmmmm.





I enjoy eating snacks and treats. I've eaten far too many of the wrong kind for decades.  But I knew myself well enough to know that I wasn't about to give up snacking completely.  It was obvious that I could not continue to eat the prepackaged cookies and candies I had been consuming because of the chemicals and additives they contain. But the truth is I was trying to find a food plan I could live with for the rest of my life. On a practical level, I knew I did not have the time or the inclination to make every single thing I eat from scratch. 

I use some packaged foods. I have become an avid label reader. The things I buy tend to contain only a few ingredients. The brand of dried cherries I buy has one ingredient: cherries.  I stay away from items that contain dyes, preservatives, trans fats, and other harmful chemicals.  I have found that if I eat whole foods 95% of the time, I can tolerate some packaged foods the other 5% of the time.  You may discover a different formula that works for you.  I got well and I have stayed symptom free on this plan.

Some day I may decide to make my own bread, mayo, mustard, ketchup, pickles, chips, dried fruit, granola, yogurt, and almond butter but right now these are things I purchase that someone else has made.

I had to learn to think a new way and be creative in my choices. Being willing to change was a key factor for me.  I'll admit that I had a serious internal struggle with this.  It was six months from the day I first read about chemicals in the environment and processed food as a possible cause for fibromyalgia to the day I finally decided to go for it and alter my lifestyle.  I felt so miserable and hopeless by then that I was willing to try anything to get better.  Today my fibromyalgia pain is gone.  My debilitating chronic fatigue symptoms are gone. And now I wonder, why in the world did it take me so long to decide to do this? 

Here are some snack ideas you might want to try:

Wash and freeze grapes.  Take out a handful to munch on at night while watching TV.  They are a cold, crunchy treat.  Red or dark purple are my favorites.  Fresh pineapple is also delicious frozen.  

Sprinkle organic granola over a cup of Greek yogurt.  Add walnuts, almonds, and dried cherries.

Have an apple, banana or an orange.  Drizzle with raw honey. Sprinkle with nuts and a spoonful of crunchy almond butter.

Spread chocolate almond butter on a graham cracker. Most graham crackers contain some partially hydrogenated fats but no other harmful chemicals.  I do well with them as long as I eat only two at a time and do not eat them too frequently. 

Have a single serving size bag of potato chips.  Read the ingredients label.  I eat chips that list three ingredients:  potatoes, oil, and salt.  Some brands also list food additives, preservatives, hydrogenated fats, food dyes, and other chemicals as ingredients.  I steer clear of those

Make ginger cookies with molasses and freshly grated ginger.  My favorite recipe makes about 100 cookies. Ginger is a main ingredient and it is an anti-inflammatory food.

I love chocolate.  Occasionally I make homemade brownies with walnuts.  Walnuts are on my good foods list.   I bake and freeze the brownies and defrost only one at a time.  I do the same thing with the cookies.

These are the four key points to my snack attack plan:

Limit refined sugar
Read the ingredient labels on every single package
Eat plenty of whole fruit
Find healthy substitutes for unhealthy foods


What is your favorite healthy snack food?



No comments:

Post a Comment