Thursday, December 15, 2016

U is for Use the 90% Real Food Rule

ABCs for healthy living are quick takes on simple strategies for creating a healthier life.
I start every day with a real food breakfast.
I created ten strategies for healthy living that helped me detoxify my life and optimize my stamina and energy because I was desperate to find ways to cope with the severe pain and fatigue of the chronic illness fibromyalgia.I succeeded far beyond what I could imagine.I not only found ways to cope. I eventually completely recovered. Last week I celebrated four years of being symptom free.

These strategies required me to make changes in my lifestyle.All of the strategies have been important in my recovery and in maintaining my health. The top three are:
  • Replace harmful household products with safer ones.
  • Remove most processed food from my diet.
  • Make smart choices about eating real food.
The first one was the easiest.I didn't have any emotional attachment to cleaning products. I could live without scented things.If you would like more info on why scented products are dangerous and some ideas for making your own nontoxic cleaners, check out these posts.
Why Scented Products are Hazardous to Your Health
Completely revamping my diet was a lot more difficult for me.I had been eating things out of boxes and packages and using cans of this and that in recipes for years.I was emotionally attached to some of the processed food I ate.So I use the 90% rule.I eat real food 90% of the time.This gives me a 10% flexibility window each day for occasionally eating processed food, eating out when I don't know what ingredients restaurants use in the food, and going to parties and potluck dinners.

Five things help me follow the 90% real food rule.

1. I start every day with a real food breakfast that includes bread I make myself, fruit, nuts, organic free range eggs I get from a friend, and a cup of ginger tea. Recipe for Ginger Tea

2. When I eat occasional processed food, I make sure it has five ingredients or less and stay away from the most harmful ingredients like preservatives and food dyes. For example, if I want potato chips with my sandwich, I choose a single serving bag that is made from only three ingredients: potatoes,salt,and oil.

3. When I'm invited to a potluck dinner or party, I take a fresh fruit or vegetable platter so that I know I will have some real food choices no matter what else is served.

4. When I eat at a restaurant I choose foods that have the greatest potential for being unprocessed like grilled chicken, fruit, vegetables, and salad.

5. I thoroughly enjoy my 10% flexibility window.This week I've been baking Christmas goodies for my grandchildren. And I've tasted everything I made. One piece of homemade candy or one cookie doesn't wreck my plan because the rest of the day I know I will follow the 90% real food rule that helps me create a healthier life.

Want to join my online community?

Like my Facebook page Practical Priorities 

Follow my blog  Practical Priorities

Follow me on Twitter  @KathyKNorman

Connect with me on LinkedIn  Kathy K. Norman

Check out my Pinterest boards KathyKNorman3



















No comments:

Post a Comment