Tuesday, January 29, 2013

There Are a Gazillion Symptoms

The symptoms of  fibromyalgia are debilitating and overwhelming.
Hang on.

 There is hope.



When I first started experiencing the symptoms that would later be diagnosed as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome I kept thinking I had a long term virus. Before the onset of this disease, I had been an active, vibrant, fun loving, positive, energetic woman.  I loved being involved in church and community activities, hiking through the woods, traveling with my husband, camping, shopping, working, playing with my grandchildren.  I was sure one morning I would wake up and feel like my old self again.  After an entire year of getting worse each day with no relief in sight I was at the end of my rope.  How could I possibly adjust to feeling this bad every day for the rest of my life?

My symptoms included:

pain all over my body in my muscles and joints

frequent high level pain in specific areas like my knees, elbows, feet

pain that increased with changes in weather

pain so severe that it woke me up in the night

problems with falling asleep and staying asleep

never feeling rested even when I managed sporadic sleep

unremitting fatigue that made it difficult for me to do the simplest tasks of daily living

an inability to concentrate

depression and feelings of hopelessness


This was so uncharacteristic of who I had been before.  I was the one who knew how to find fun and the positive point of view in everything.  I could make a trip to the grocery store an adventure.  What was happening to me?

Somewhere in the fog, pain, and fatigue the stubborn, determined, relentless me still existed.  I might not be able to get up and go but I could still grab the computer and look up and research.  So that is where I started.  Information gathering became my lifeline to hope and the possibility of something more to do with the rest of my life than sit down and wait for death.  

It's been three years.  I am better today than I ever thought I could be. Before I share what I found out and the steps I took toward healing I would like to hear from you.

What are your symptoms?

What distresses you the most about having fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome?













\




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I do not have fibromyalgia, as a chaplain and pastor I have listened to many who did. They often feel ignored by many who say "it is in their head" and do not take the illness seriously. Blogs such as these help those who are experiencing fibromyalgia feel less isolated. Thanks for blogging and keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dennis. I feel so blessed to have found things that have helped me heal. I want to share it with others who suffer from this.

      Delete