Monday, September 12, 2016

Healthy Faith Focuses on Unity

Can we put aside our differences and focus on how we are connected to one another?

Our lives are intertwined like branches on a tree.
My husband graduated from Ensley High School in Birmingham, Alabama decades ago. Over the years we have run into numerous people who also graduated from Ensley. This might not seem so strange if we still lived in Birmingham. But we have lived in numerous places since then and we keep running into people who went to Vic's high school.They are everywhere: repairmen, deliverymen, patients at our office, visitors passing through town, the people sitting next to us at the theater, the Sunday School teacher in a class we visited - all graduates of the same high school located in a city we haven't lived in since 1975.

My favorite story about this connection happened when we were missionaries in Colombia, South America. We were studying Spanish in the capital city of BogotáWe attended a church that shared its facilities with two congregations: the local Spanish-speaking residents and English expats that worked in international companies throughout the city. One group had a worship service while the other went to Bible study and then they swapped locations. During the half hour break for the changeover, both groups met in a central area for coffee and fellowship. During the break one Sunday Vic and I walked over from the Spanish service and introduced ourselves to an American couple attending the English service for the first time.They had moved to Colombia due to a job transfer and had been in Bogotá just a few weeks.The husband said they were enjoying the experience of living in a different culture.Then he said, "One of the main reasons I'm glad to be here is because everywhere we go we meet people who went to the same high school as my wife. We are finally living in a place so far away that she won't run into any fellow graduates " Vic said, "That happens to us all the time, too." The wife put down her coffee cup and said, "Yes, I doubt I'll run into anyone in Bogotá,Colombia who went to Ensley High School in Birmingham, Alabama."

It is amazing how many ways our lives are intertwined with the lives of other people. We graduate from the same school, discover we have friends in common, work in the same field, or share similar interests.If we are Christians, we have a common faith that ought to be a powerful force for unity.

We should feel connected instantly to others who belong to the family of God. Unfortunately, in recent years, we have focused more on what separates us than on what unites us. God's family includes people from different countries, ethnic backgrounds, political parties, denominations, cultural views, languages, and traditions. We have the awesome potential to work together to bless each other and to bless unbelievers. But that will never happen as long as we spend our time drawing lines in the sand, arguing, and demanding that everyone think exactly like we do on every single issue.

To practice healthy faith, we need to put aside our differences and focus on how we are connected to one another.There are so many ways our lives are intertwined with our brothers and sisters in Christ. If we would concentrate our energies on the great truths we hold in common, it would be a lot easier to find ways to work together to impact our communities and our world with the gospel. We could help and encourage one another. We could feed the hungry, clothe the poor, heal the sick, and welcome the stranger in the name of the one who said, "In as much as you have done something for one of the least of these, you have done it for me."  Matthew 25:40 NIV

I long for reconciliation among believers that will bring light to darkness and speak love to hate. So today, I intentionally chose to cherish each and every person who belongs to the family of God. I chose to look for the things that unite us. I chose to respect wherever you are in your faith journey. I will not require you to be in the same place on the path as me. I will not focus on divisive ploys. I will not argue. I will not belittle. I will not condemn or condone. I will simply pray:

"May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all." 2 Corinthians 13:14 NIV


Want to join my online community?

Follow my blog  Practical Priorities

Follow me on Twitter  @KathyKNorman

Like my Facebook page Practical Priorities 

Connect with me on LinkedIn  Kathy K. Norman

Check out my Pinterest boards KathyKNorman3

Visit my website www.kathyknorman.com






No comments:

Post a Comment