Monday, June 17, 2013

Pinterest-ing Idea







I love these rocking chairs.  We bought them in the 1980s from a local rocking chair maker when we were living in Barranquilla, Colombia.  They represent a common furniture style in that coastal South American city and bring back wonderful memories of the six years we lived there.  We have taken them with us wherever we have lived since then.  These two currently have their own special nook in the apartment where we live part of the time while my husband teaches medical school students in the city.  Two more of the chairs are at our house in the country where we live the rest of the time.

It has been over thirty years since we bought the chairs.  We have repaired the bottoms and replaced the cushions but the wood was scuffed and worn.  Because I am committed to getting as many chemicals as possible out of my environment in order to maintain my remission from fibromyalgia symptoms, I didn't want to use any type of commercial cleaner or varnish that might contain harmful chemicals.

I am always on the lookout for natural options to use in place of chemically laden manufactured products.  So I was delighted when I came across a recipe for furniture restorer on Pinterest that consisted of only two natural ingredients:  canola oil and vinegar.  The pin said to use 3/4 cup of oil and 1/4 cup of vinegar and apply with an old rag.  I didn't need that much for the chairs so I just grabbed a mug, filled it about halfway with oil, dumped in some vinegar, and stirred.  I rubbed this into the wood with paper towels and let it sit until the wood soaked up all the mixture and - Voila!    The chairs look great and I was not exposed to any unnecessary chemicals.


Before


After

If you have access to the internet, you have access to a ton of great ideas for natural products you can use instead of chemicals.  I have come across lots of ideas on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and also by just typing key words for whatever I am looking for into my search engine.

I have found natural cleaning products, ways to get insects out of my home and outdoor spaces, and hundreds of delicious recipes for healthy eating with whole foods.  Getting rid of chemicals in my home, not eating processed food, and eating a lot of whole natural foods have been keys to recovery for me.

When I started on this journey to change my lifestyle, I was just trying to find something that would help my feel a little better so I could cope with a horrible chronic illness that I thought I would have to live with for the rest of my life.  I was amazed when my symptoms disappeared completely.  

If you are suffering from severe fibromyalgia pain and debilitating chronic fatigue, it is my deepest hope that the things I am sharing in this blog will help you feel better.  May God bless each and every one of you.  Rock on!




No comments:

Post a Comment