Tuesday, July 26, 2016

How to Plant a Darwinian Herb Garden





I stopped eating most processed food and started eating lots of real food full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients as part of my healthy living plan. I read blog posts and articles about how easy it is to grow your own food.That sounded like a good idea and planting a small herb garden sounded like the easiest place to start. Well, maybe. 

Here's the thing. I do not have a green thumb. My chief gardening skill is graciously accepting gifts of homegrown food from the overflowing abundance in gardens my friends have planted. I have green bell peppers, vine ripened tomatoes, squash, and okra in the fridge right now solely due to a kindhearted friend willing to share. I also have one remaining gallon freezer bag out of the ten I put up at harvest time last fall full of chopped fresh apples and pears given to me by sweet friends who have a backyard full of wonderful fruit trees. I was extraordinarily proud that I managed to peel, chop, and freeze them by myself. Well, actually my Mother was in town for a visit and did at least half of the chopping and peeling, but I was in the kitchen at the time wielding a paring knife, so I think technically that counts.

I wanted to grow something at my very own house my very own self. And that is how I ended up with my lovely little herb garden. Most gardeners find that herbs do well anywhere that gets sufficient sunlight. They can be planted outside after the first frost and left there until the first freezing temps of winter arrive.They can be planted inside anytime of the year in any spot that gets a lot of natural light.

It was quite simple, really. I found some organic non GMO seeds online, located a few empty pots, bought some potting soil, filled the pots with rich dirt, poked the seeds into the dirt, and waited. Well, the truth is my husband did most of that. But I picked out the brightly colored pots myself. Aren't they pretty? And I arranged them on the deck so that they looked nice from the kitchen window and the sunroom. Sunshine, rain, and Mother Nature did the rest. Before too long, little green bits started pushing up toward the light and soon I had lots of delicious fresh parsley, basil, and rosemary. 

My cute little yellow pot of dill is another story.




Same dirt, same source for seeds, same location - but with much sadder results. I clearly have a Darwinian herb garden on my hands. Survival of the fittest is the only way to go. 

I just got back from Piggly Wiggly with a nice bottle of dried dill seeds. I couldn't grow cilantro either. But I found a bottle of that at Big Star.


Want to join my online community?

Follow my blog  Practical Priorities

Follow me on Twitter  @KathyKNorman

Connect with me on LinkedIn  Kathy K. Norman

Like my Facebook page Practical Priorities  

Check out my Pinterest boards KathyKNorman3

Visit my website www.kathyknorman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment