Friday, February 1, 2013

Going for the Cure

Recovery is possible.
There are many things you can do to increase your
chances for recovery from fibromyalgia.





I had been to the doctor for a checkup, had appropriate lab work evaluation, and been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.  My doctor tried me on a variety of medications to help control the pain but I had adverse reactions to all of them. After living with severe pain and debilitating fatigue every day.for a year, I finally climbed out of the fibro fog long enough to ask myself, "Now what?"  I had two choices: resign myself to living the rest of my  life as a semi invalid or start looking for better ways to cope.  I started reading and researching everything I could find on fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.  The internet was both a blessing and a curse.  There was endless information available but how in the world was I supposed to find the right path for me in the middle of such an overwhelming amount of contradictory advice?

I am a person of faith so I prayed for spiritual guidance.  Slowly a sensible plan that seemed logical to me began to emerge.  I decided my filter for trying different therapies would be, "First do no harm."   Some of the suggestions I read about were bizarre, potentially harmful, or came with too little information about possible complications.  So ordering some exotic tea leaf from a foreign country over the internet that had no information about its contents or side effects was marked off my list.  So was wearing bracelets made of different metals and other similar ideas.

However, I kept seeing one thing over and over and over again that intrigued me.  Some people feel that fibromyalgia and other similar diseases may be caused by exposure to chemicals that are so prevalent in our modern world.  

These chemicals are everywhere

 in our environment

cleaning products

personal grooming products

processed foods 

Since I already had a problem with allergic reactions to a variety of chemicals, it seemed plausible to me that some of these chemicals could be causing reactions that were producing my fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms.  I couldn't do much about the chemicals that were in the environment outside.  But I could certainly work on the ones I was being exposed to in my own home.  This plan would take time and involve my willingness to change my lifestyle but there was nothing about it that could harm me.  

As time went on I discovered other ideas involving food choices, movement, sleep, medication, pacing, and attitude.  These also could be incorporated into my recovery plan without causing any harm.  Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome currently have no known cure.  But I decided to not give up or give in to despair.  I made a commitment to myself to at least try.  

It took two years.  Sometimes I wanted to quit trying because I saw no immediate results.   But I decided to stick with the plan.   It worked. Today my symptoms are gone.  I feel great.  I am amazed.  And I am thankful beyond words.

Have you read about any interesting possible causes for your symptoms?

No comments:

Post a Comment