Monday, June 24, 2013

Killing Myself with Food and Chemicals



Research shows that what you eat has a direct effect on your health and well being. Processed food is full of chemicals, dyes, preservatives, and artificial ingredients that our bodies were never designed to consume.  For decades this truth had no impact on my lifestyle at all.  I ate things that came in packages and boxes and cans - Oh my! - without giving it a single thought.  I have been thinking a lot lately about why it didn't occur to me sooner that this type of eating could be harmful.

The only reason I started investigating the relationship between what I eat and how I feel is because I had fibromyalgia complete with just about every symptom associated with this horrible disease: severe pain in multiple muscles and joints, frequent bouts of spiking pain in my knees, elbows, and feet, pain that increased with changes in the weather, pain so severe it woke me up at night, difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep, never feeling rested even when I managed sporadic sleep, unremitting fatigue, difficulty completing even the simplest tasks of daily living, loss of focus, an inability to concentrate, and feelings of hopelessness.

The most hopeless feeling of all was that I would have to cope with the consequences of this disease for the rest of my life.  After an entire year of misery and despair, I started looking for a way to feel better.  I got rid of chemicals in my home, cleaning products,and personal grooming products.  I stopped eating processed food that is full of chemicals and started eating whole foods rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.  I read everything I could find hoping to discover a way to feel at least well enough to function each day.  I was amazed that I not only found a way to feel better but my symptoms completely disappeared.

Is this a cure or is the disease just in remission?  All I can tell you is that when I made these changes in my life I got well.  I have been symptom free and feeling great for over six months.

Researchers are studying the relationship between exposure to chemicals in our environment and chemicals in our food and have found links to a host of illnesses including almost every inflammatory illness such as fibromyalgia, arthritis, lupus, Sjogren's syndrome and other illnesses like heart disease, depression, and cancer.

So why isn't every person with fibromyalgia or another chronic illness getting rid of chemicals in their environment and food and eating whole foods?  I suspect it is for the same five reasons I was slowly killing myself with food and chemicals for over half a century. 

Habit.  When you are used to doing things a certain way, it seems simpler to keep on doing them that way than to change. So we keep using the same cleaning products and personal grooming products.  We keep eating things out of packages and boxes.  We drink soda and stuff our faces with candy, cookies, and chips.  It is what we are used to doing.

Lack of Information.  We don't educate ourselves about the harm processed food and environmental chemicals can cause.  In the past maybe this information was hard to find.  Now it is everywhere.  You can get on the internet, type whatever you want to know in your favorite search engine and have hundreds of scientific articles right in front of you in a matter of minutes. The truth is out there.  

Disbelief.  Even when we have the information and read every article and book about the harm environmental chemicals and processed food cause our bodies, we just don't want to believe this could be true.  We had rather believe there is some other cause, pop a pill, and hope for the best. Even some physicians are still not paying attention.  I am grateful to have met many who are wholeheartedly behind the movement to eat well to live well. Wondering where you are in the process?  Check out this list and see how many of these foods you are currently eating.

8 Foods We Eat In The U.S. That Are Banned In Other Countries
This brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "food poisoning." Original list found in Dr. Jayson Calton and certified nutritionist Mira Calton's new book, Rich Food, Poor Food.

False Sense of Trust.  If it is available on our grocery shelves, we think it must be safe to eat. Nothing could be further from the truth.  Giant food corporations have only one motivation for producing processed food products.  And it is not our well-being.  It is profit.  Read the book
Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss for an eye opening look into the world of manufactured food.

Unwillingness to Change.  Even when we know the truth and believe the truth, sometimes we just don't want to change our lifestyle.  We don't want to give up soda or packaged cookies.  We don't want to switch to safe organic chemical free cleaners.  We just don't want to change our ways.  It took me six months after I started finding out the truth to be willing to make the changes I needed to make.

If I had not made those changes I would still be dragging myself out of bed every morning just hoping for a low pain day, glad if I had the energy to take a shower and make it to the couch. Instead I am traveling, writing, camping, playing with my grandchildren, and living each day with joy and gratitude.  Don't let chemicals and processed food rob you of a life that is full of hope, promise, and possibilities. 



No comments:

Post a Comment