Monday, June 10, 2013

How Much Will This Cost?

Healthy Living on a Shoestring Budget


I have been sharing my fibromyalgia recovery plan:  find a support system, get the chemicals out of your environment, stop eating processed food, start eating whole foods.  I have been asked a lot of questions about different parts of this plan.  There is one thing that almost everyone wants to know: 

How much will it cost to make the changes required to get better?  


Find a Support System.  

This aspect of the plan will cost you only time and thought.  If you join a formal fibromyalgia support network there may be a small cost for yearly dues. Many of these types of groups do not require dues and joining a formal group is not your only option.  Check out previous posts for specific ideas on how you can find the support you need as you move toward recovery.

Get the Chemicals Out of Your Environment.

My expenses in this area have decreased.   Eliminating all scented products eliminated what I would have been paying to buy scented candles, air fresheners, etc.  Switching from chemically laden cleaning and grooming products to products containing fewer chemicals has cost the same as I was paying before. I was going to buy toothpaste, makeup, soap, laundry detergent, etc. anyway. Simply switching brands did not increase my costs.  

Some brands of organic, natural cleaning products are more expensive than brands that are made with a lot of chemicals. However, you do not have to buy prepackaged products.  There are a lot of things you can make yourself.  You can read about many of these ideas in previous posts on this blog.  You can go online and type  "natural cleaning products" in the search field and find many more.  I have a whole Pinterest board devoted to natural cleaning products.  (http://pinterest.com/KathyKNorman3)    My favorite natural cleaning product is extremely cheap:  vinegar.  I buy the least expensive brand at discount stores in huge containers and get a ton of cleaning power for my money.

Stop Eating Processed Food and Start Eating Whole Foods

Many people think eating natural whole food is going to cost more than the way they are presently eating. This is simply not true.  For one thing, a big chunk of your weekly food bill will disappear when you stop buying soda, cookies, candy, and prepackaged heavily processed food items. I eat out a lot less because cooking at home lets me know exactly what is in the food I eat.  You can use these savings to purchase healthy whole foods.

There are some packaged things that you will need to buy to eat a healthy diet:  rolled oats, raisins, dried fruit, Greek yogurt, etc. These items can often be found at a reduced price at discount food stores and big box stores.  They can sometimes be found on sale or purchased using coupons. 

Whole fruits and vegetables are probably the category of foods that are perceived as being the most expensive.  But even these can be found for a good price at discount stores.  Buy fresh foods when they are in season. They cost less then.  A great source of good food at good prices is local farmers' markets.  Locally raised food is often less expensive because you cut out the big food manufacturing companies and transportation costs.  Food you buy from local growers is usually the most healthy food you can buy.  It often has less chemical exposure and there is no need for preservatives.  Many farmers' markets have whole sections dedicated to truly organic food.

Overall, I spend less now than I did before I started trying to get better.  Even if it cost more, I would find something else in my monthly budget to reduce in order to buy what I need to live a healthier lifestyle.  I started this entire process simply looking for something I could do to feel better, something that would help me cope with my illness and at least be able to function on some level.  I was as surprised as anyone when I completely recovered.  And that's priceless.



No comments:

Post a Comment