Friday, November 18, 2016

T is for Thanksgiving Real Food Recipes

ABCs for healthy living are quick takes on simple strategies for creating a healthier life.



Thanksgiving is next week. I created strategies for healthy living that helped me recover from fibromyalgia and keep me healthy every day. They include eliminating most processed food because it contains harmful additives and eating real food full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients.The holiday season that stretches from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day has the potential to wreck healthy living strategies. I'm not worried about counting calories or carbs. I'm concerned about counting chemicals and avoiding as many as possible, even during food-centered celebrations.

Dealing with my personal food needs is not the only obstacle I face in planning our Thanksgiving dinner. I'm looking forward to having four generations of my extended family gathered around my table.There will be smiles, hugs, long talks, games, and laughter. But there will also be enough of us in the dining room that have food allergies that we could do group Public Service Announcements for the National Allergy Board. One or more people in my family has a food allergy or food intolerance to dairy products, gluten, beef, nuts, corn, bananas,shellfish, pork, citrus fruits, kiwi, avocados, chocolate, tomatoes, soy, and peanuts. It's a good thing I relish a challenge.

If I can prepare a delicious real food Thanksgiving meal for my food allergy bunch, I know that anyone can. If you are cooking for a crowd that has food sensitivities, have one entree that everyone can eat and plenty of side dishes so that everyone can choose at least two additional foods. If I tried to make every single dish something that every single person could eat, we would have nothing but a lonely turkey on our table.

To keep your holiday meal free of processed food that contains harmful chemicals and toxic additives, plan simple recipes that use real food instead of food that comes out of a box or package. Real food is always a healthy and delicious choice.

Real Food Thanksgiving Menu

Roasted Turkey. I fill the cavity with apple slices, onion, garlic and spices and baste with olive oil and everyone can eat it. You can also add slices of oranges, lemons and limes to ramp up the zesty flavor.

Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese. The lactose intolerant folks have to pass on this one but all of my grandchildren adore it. Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese Recipe

Portuguese Country Bread. My mother got this recipe on a trip to Portugal. Portuguese Country Bread Recipe

Baked Sweet Potatoes. I serve them plain with a choice of toppings that include butter, soy- free dairy-free butter substitute, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and ginger.  

Roasted Vegetables can be made with just about any vegetables you like. Simply place cut up vegetables on a large rimmed cookie sheet, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and your favorite spices. Roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour or until vegetables start to brown around the edges.

Fruit Plate with enough choices that everyone can eat at least one of the fruits.If you are feeling artistic, check out this cute turkey made from fruit that I found on Pinterest. My grandchildren had a great time helping me create a Festive Turkey Fruit Platter
 
Salad Greens with kale, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I put the greens in a large bowl and arrange the other ingredients on a tray so that everyone can make their own.

Apple Pear Crisp Apple Pear Crisp Recipe

Chocolate Almond Pie that is dairy free, soy free, and gluten free. Chocolate Almond Pie Recipe

And there you have it: a real food Thanksgiving feast for the allergy crowd. Oh, and by the way, my family will be here from Wednesday until Sunday so I have to round up food choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for five days. And that's a chore I"m grateful to have. Because spending time with people I love is a gift. And Thanksgiving is the perfect time of year to smile and count my blessings.

Want to join my online community?

Like my Facebook page Practical Priorities 

Follow my blog  Practical Priorities

Follow me on Twitter  @KathyKNorman

Connect with me on LinkedIn  Kathy K. Norman

Check out my Pinterest boards KathyKNorman3


No comments:

Post a Comment