Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Planning a Real Food Thanksgiving Dinner





Thanksgiving is next week.The first November that rolled around after I changed my lifestyle to move toward recovery from fibromyalgia, I wondered: "How am I going to prepare for a holiday that centers around food without blowing my real food eating plan?" I have celebrated three Thanksgiving dinners since then so I have some ideas to share

Dealing with my personal food needs is not the only obstacle I face in planning our Thanksgiving dinner. I am looking forward to having four generations of my extended family gathered around my table.There will be laughter, hugs, long talks, games, and plenty of counting our blessings. But there will also be enough of us in the dining room that have food allergies that we could do group Public Service Announcements for the National Allergy Board. One or more people in my family cannot eat dairy products, gluten, beef, nuts, corn, bananas, spicy food, shellfish, pork, citrus fruits, kiwi, avocados, chocolate, tomatoes, soy, or peanuts. It's a good thing I like creative cooking and relish a challenge.

I want to encourage you that it is possible to make healthy meals even during the holidays. If I can prepare a delicious Thanksgiving meal for my food allergy bunch, I know that you can come up with some smart choices for you and your family too. You can eat healthy foods every day of your life for the rest of your life if you make eating well a priority. 

Here are some ideas if you are cooking for a crowd that has food limitations. Have one entree that everyone can eat and plenty of side dishes so that everyone can choose at least two additional foods. If I tried to make every single dish something that every single person could eat, we would have nothing but a lonely turkey on our table.

To keep your holiday meal free of processed food that contains harmful chemicals and toxic additives, plan simple recipes that use real food instead of food that comes out of a box or package. Real food is always a healthy and delicious choice.



Thanksgiving Menu

Roasted Turkey. I fill the cavity with apple slices, onion, garlic and spices and baste with olive oil and everyone can eat it. You can also add slices of oranges, lemons and limes to ramp up the zesty flavor.

Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese. The lactose intolerant folks have to pass on this one but all of my grandchildren adore it.

Portuguese Country Bread. My mother got this recipe on a trip to Portugal.

Baked Sweet Potatoes. I serve them plain with a choice of toppings that include butter, soy- free dairy-free butter substitute, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and ginger.  

Roasted Vegetables that can be made with just about any vegetables you like.

Fruit Plate with enough choices that everyone can eat at least one of the fruits.I saw a cute picture on Pinterest of a fruit plate arranged to look like a turkey. If you are feeling artistic you may want to check it out. Festive Turkey Fruit Platter
 
Salad Greens with kale, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I put the greens in a large bowl and arrange the other ingredients on a tray so that everyone can make their own.

Apple Pear Crisp with oatmeal topping.

Chocolate Almond Pie that is dairy free, soy free, and gluten free.


And there you have it: a Thanksgiving feast we can all enjoy. Oh, and by the way, my family will be here from Wednesday until Sunday so I will have to round up food choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the allergy crowd for five days. And that's a chore I"m grateful to have. Because spending time with people you love is a gift. And Thanksgiving is the perfect day to smile and count your blessings.


Want Some Recipes?

To get recipes for Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese, Portuguese Country Bread, Roasted Vegetables, Apple Pear Crisp, and Chocolate Almond Pie check out my Facebook page: Practical Healing in a Toxic World  Thanksgiving recipes will be featured this week.

Like the page to find lots of practical ways to move toward a healthy life.The page has recipes, tips on chemical free living, fibromyalgia facts, and spiritual encouragement. 

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment