Monday, March 25, 2013

Time to Talk Tools





Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome had smacked me, sacked me, and whacked me. I was exhausted and wracked with pain.  Eating a healthy diet free from processed foods, dyes, and chemicals was an absolutely essential component in the plan I was designing to try to feel better. 

But how was I supposed to find the energy to prepare healthy foods when I barely had the energy to rip open a box of something? 

I discovered that having the right tools really helps cut the time it takes to prepare fresh, whole foods.  Here are some of my favorites.

Microplane grater.   I drink fresh ginger tea every day and put freshly grated ginger in a lot of things I cook.  It only takes a few minutes to peel the amount of ginger I need and grate it with the microplane.  I keep a brush in my dish drainer to rinse and scrub the grater as soon as I use it, so clean up is a snap too.

Pineapple corer.   I eat fresh pineapple every day but cutting through that tough skin to get to the good stuff can be a chore.  You can buy a simple pineapple corer/cutter for about $15 at your favorite kitchen store.  Mine cuts out the core, takes off the skin, and cuts the fruit into rings or slices in two minutes.

Vegetable Steamer.  Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and a ton of other yummy vegetables can be prepared quickly in a vegetable steamer.

Rice Cooker. Toss brown rice into your rice cooker and you have a great side dish with no muss, no fuss.

Crockpot.  Fill it up in the morning and dinner is ready when you are in the evening.  Cook a roast with potatoes and carrots.  You will have a meal ready and leftover meat to freeze for sandwiches later.

Freezer. I don’t eat processed lunchmeat.  So I grill a whole package of chicken breasts at one time, wrap and freeze.  When I need to fix a quick sandwich, I just defrost in the microwave and enjoy.  Grapes are a delicious frozen treat.  Wash a large bunch of grapes, place in a freezer safe container, and take out a handful to munch for a healthy, satisfying snack.   

Please share your favorite kitchen gadgets.

What tips do you have for making eating healthy easier?

4 comments:

  1. Keep writing! Your blog inspires us to be aware of how healthy eating can help not just those with fibromyalgia, but with a host of other ailments, not to mention allergies. Trying to keep unfriendly chemicals out of our food and environment is difficult, but I think it is a worthy endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a physician I am amazed -and appalled- at how many chemicals are added to our food. It's a stealth attack on our health and I am so glad you have taken the time and effort to educate us in how to defend our bodies!

    ReplyDelete